|Overview||API Key is an umbrella term that covers different methods for generating an authentication token in order to perform an API call. Typically, this method will require you to generate or request an API Key from a service provider to use in subsequent API calls. That API Key will need to be included as part of the request URL.|
|Format||When the API key is retrieved from a service provider, it is used in the API call in a format as specified by that service. For example, you may be required to use the API key as a query parameter or as a username and password.|
Step-by-step: Using a Web Accessible Resource
To create a data source using a the Web Accessible Resource connector, you need to accomplish three tasks:
- Start the data source creation process in Klipfolio.
- Craft a request URL using developer documentation provided by your service provider.
- Enter the request URL in Klipfolio.
Step 1: Start the data source creation process
- Click the Library link.
- Select the Data Sources tab.
- Click the Create a New Data Source option.
- Select the Web Accessible Resource option.
Step 2: Craft an API query
Begin by going to the developer documentation for the service provider you would like to retrieve data from.
Some API connection requests are free and open to the public. However, depending on the service provider, you may need to:
- Have an account with the service provider.
- Contact the service provider to grant you API request permissions.
- Contact the service provider to receive an authentication token.
- Pay an API access fee.
Step 3: Enter the Request URL into Klipfolio
Once you have completed your API request, you can copy and paste your URL into the Web Accessible Resource connector.
In the Web Accessible Resource connector, ensure that you:
- Copy and paste the URL call from the web accessible resource into Klipfolio.
- Choose the appropriate data format (XML,CSV, Excel, or JSON).
- Expand the Authentication (OAuth, 2-Step, X-WSSE, or Basic) menu.
- Under Type, select the option none.